In this year’s case, you will explore opportunities between a fashion retailer or brand and a collaborator that is not currently in the fashion business. Click below to view a list of our frequently asked questions as further support during the application process.
2020 CASE STUDY COMPETITION FAQ
What is the judging criteria for the FSF case study competition?
You will be judged on the depth and relevance of your research (30% of score), the creativity and feasibility of your ideas (50% of score) and the clarity with which you portray both (15% of score). Following format directions will account for the remaining 5% of your score. Your case will be judged by industry professionals including the YMA FSF Board of Governors, YMA FSF Mentors, and YMA FSF Alumni. They will be using the following criteria to score your case:
• Has the scholar completed exhaustive research on best-in-class market players and their retailer of choice in order to successfully fulfill the objective at hand?
• Has the scholar acknowledged any instances in which their idea (or something close to) has been executed in the past, and whether it was successful?
• Does the scholar display strong business acumen and common sense?
CREATIVITY & FEASIBILITY (50%)
• Is the scholar’s idea unique, inspiring and innovative?
• Is the scholar’s idea well-thought-out and conceivably executable?
• Has the scholar clearly completed each portion of their prompt?
• Does the scholar’s case follow logical development and a clear structure; is it easy to follow and summarize?
• Has the scholar followed all formatting directions, 1" margins on all 4 sides, double spaces, size 12pt Times Roman font?
• Has the scholar used correct grammar and spelling?
• Has the scholar included a title page with one sentence to summarize the case?
• Was the student's name and school was kept anonymous?
When is the case study due?
The completed case study is due October 7, 2019.
What date will the 2020 prompt be released?
The 2020 case study prompt was published on March 6th, 2019 to all FSF academic partners.
How do I access the 2020 case study prompt?
You can find this prompt on the scholarship dopdown menu.
If I am studying abroad for the entire 2019-2020 academic year, can I still participate and apply for the case study competition?
What are the instructions for submitting my case study?
Case studies should be submitted via Slideroom through the following link: https://ymafsf.slideroom.com/#/Login which opens on September 1st.
How do I get access to log onto Slide Room?
Applicants will create a SlideRoom account by going to https://ymafsf.slideroom.com/#/Login. Then complete the online application, upload their completed case study and SUBMIT by October 7, 2019 before 11:59 PM EST.
Should each applicant choose whether do complete part A/B/C/D or are all applicants expect to complete all four sections?
Each applicant is expected to only choose one discipline (Design & Product Development, Merchandising & Marketing, Analytics or Supply Chain).
Is there a page limit on the appendix?
Yes, the appendix should be no longer than 5 pages.
Within the design case, what type of sketches are acceptable? Is it limited to hand-drawn sketches, digital sketches?
Illustrations can be done by hand or by CAD.
Are students required to complete a SWOT analysis for the study this year?
No. While students are required to conduct research on the leading fashion retailers that are relevant to each discipline prompt and to share a brief comparison of the various retailers researched, there is no required format or framework for this section of the case study.
Can the chosen brand/retailer be a start-up?
No, it must be a pubicly traded company.
Is this method asking us to perform a regression analysis?
That is up to the student, a regression analysis is one way to approach the problem.
While the Merchandising/Marketing, Analytics & Supply Chain prompts all reference “fashion” companies, beauty, home, kids, gender neautral and accessory companies are all acceptable.
When is the awards ceremony? How many days? What does the award ceremony consist of?
The FSF Annual Awards Gala will be held on January 8, 2020. 2020 FSF scholarship winners arrive in New York City on January 7, 2020 and will have complimentary rooms at a hotel in NYC. Winners attend FSF Winter Institute which is a required event the evening of the 7th. The morning of January 8th the FSF will host the Career Expo with 50 exhibitors between 9:00 am to 1:00 PM. All scholars then attend a production rehearsal in the afternoon and the Annual Awards Gala festivities begin at 5:00 PM. Scholarship winners check out of the hotel and return home on January 9th.
Have a question about the 2019 FSF Case Study Competition? Inquire below!